Gluten-Free Brown Butter Toffee Chocolate Chip Cookies – These gluten-free cookies are what dreams are made of. Studded with caramel-y toffee bits and plenty of melty chocolate, they’re golden on the outside and gooey on the inside. Yum!
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar (lightly packed)
- 2 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 2 1/2 cups (300g.) gluten-free measure-for-measure flour, scooped & leveled
- 1 1/2 cups semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips/chopped chocolate (feel free to use either or a mix)
- 1 cup toffee bits
- flaky salt, to finish (optional)
- First, brown the butter. Melt the butter in a light-colored saucepan over medium heat, whisking constantly until the butter begins to foam. (Watch carefully when the butter begins to foam, as it will turn golden and brown quickly.) When the butter under the foam is golden (like honey) and smells sweet, remove the pan from the heat and transfer to the bowl of your stand mixer or a mixing bowl to cool for a few minutes.
- When the butter has cooled for a few minutes, add the sugar and brown sugar. Mix 2-3 minutes or until well combined and the mixture looks like wet sand.
- Add eggs + egg yolk one at a time, blending well after each addition.
- Add the vanilla and mix to combine.
- Add baking soda, baking powder, salt, and half of the flour. Mix for a few seconds (it won’t be fully combined), then add the rest of the flour, along with the chocolate and toffee bits. Mix until just combined.
- Cover and chill the dough at least 1-2 hours, up to 24 hours. (The longer, the better!)
- When you’re ready to bake, remove the dough from the refrigerator while the oven fully preheats to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- When the dough is soft enough to scoop (which can take 30-40 minutes), scoop the dough using a medium (1.5 Tbsp.) cookie scoop and place 6-8 cookies on a baking sheet at a time, spacing them several inches apart.
- Bake cookies at 350 degrees for 9-11 minutes, or until the edges are golden and the centers look just shy of being set.
- Allow the cookies to set on the baking sheet for 3-5 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. (The residual heat from the pan will help set the cookies)
- Repeat with remaining cookie dough until all the cookies are baked.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Chill Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 1 hour
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: gluten-free brown butter chocolate chip cookies, gluten-free brown butter toffee chocolate chip cookies