This gluten-free apple bundt cake has warm flavors and a gorgeous tender texture. Try it with caramel sauce or cinnamon sugar for a fun finish!
For The Gluten-Free Apple Spice Bundt Cake:
- 2 1/4 cup (270g.) gluten-free measure-for-measure flour, like King Arthur (scooped and leveled)
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp. cloves
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup butter, softened (should still be slightly cool)
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce (divided)
- 1 cup grated or chopped apples (I prefer Honeycrisp or Granny Smith)
- 100% spray oil, or oil and a pastry brush (for greasing the bundt pan)
- 2 Tbsp. sugar + 1 tsp. cinnamon, for lining the bundt pan
Optional, for serving:
- Cinnamon Sugar*: 2 Tbsp butter melted + 2 Tbsp. Sugar + 1 tsp. Cinnamon (or leftover cinnamon-sugar from dusting the pan)
- Caramel Sauce or Buttermilk SyrupButtermilk Syrup for drizzling on slices of cake
- Whipped Cream or Ice Cream (try vanilla or caramel ice cream!)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- First, combine the dry ingredients in a medium bowl. Combine flour (scooped and leveled or weighed), cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Whisk until well blended and set aside.
- In a stand mixer or large bowl, cream together butter, brown sugar, and sugar. Beat 2-3 minutes, or until light and fluffy.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Add vanilla, and beat until incorporated.
- Add 1/2 cup of applesauce and mix for a few seconds.
- Add 1/2 of the dry ingredients and mix to incorporate.
- Add remaining 1/2 cup of applesauce and mix in
- Add remaining 1/2 of the dry ingredients, and mix almost all the way (with just a few dry spots remaining).
- Add grated/chopped apples and fold them into the batter (there should now be no dry spots of flour remaining)
- In a small bowl, combine 2 Tbsp. sugar with 1 tsp. cinnamon and whisk to combine. You’ll use this to help line your pan. (You probably won’t need all of it, but you’ll need to work quickly, so it’s nice to have plenty to work with.)
- Grease your bundt pan–spray the sides, center and bottom of the bundt pan generously with 100% oil spray or brush oil on with a pastry brush. Pay extra attention to any folds, curves, or indents of your pan and don’t miss the center column.
- Sprinkle 1-2 Tbsp. of cinnamon sugar around the inside of the bundt pan, trying your best to coat the center column and all those nooks and crannies in the pan. Tap the pan to distribute the sugar if you need to. (You likely won’t need all the cinnamon-sugar)
- Scoop the cake batter immediately into the greased pan and smooth out the surface with a spatula.
- Gently tap the pan on the counter a few times to release any air bubbles.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 50-55 minutes, or until the interior of the cake reaches 200 degrees F throughout. or a toothpick inserted comes out clean with just a few moist crumbs. (Check the center of the cake, as well as the top) Note that the cake will be a very deep golden color—it’s not burned!
- Remove the cake from the oven and set the pan on a cooling rack for 5-10 minutes before turning out onto the cooling rack or your cake stand to finish cooling.* Cool completely before serving.
*If adding cinnamon sugar coating to the outside of the cake, you’ll brush melted butter onto the still-warm cake right after turning it out of the bundt pan and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar. Work in small sections so the sugar sticks better!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 50 minutes
- Category: Cake
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: gluten free apple cake, gluten-free apple cake, apple bundt cake, apple spice bundt cake, gluten-free apple spice bundt cake, gluten-free apple bundt cake