Gluten-Free Brown Butter Brownies – Fudgy gluten-free brownies that are perfect for a cozy day or chocolate craving.
- 1 stick (4 oz./8 Tbsp.) butter
- 9 oz. (1 1/2 cups) chocolate chips or chopped chocolate
- 1 cup (200 g.) brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/3 cup (30 g.) unsweetened cocoa powder (preferably dark/Dutch processed cocoa)
- 3/4 cup (90 g.) gluten-free measure-for-measure flour, scooped & leveled (We like King Arthur)
- Optional: 2/3 cup chocolate chips or chopped walnuts to mix in, or some flaky sea salt for garnish.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- Line an 8×8″ baking pan with parchment.
- Start by browning your butter. Add the butter to a light-colored saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the butter foams and the butter underneath the foam has deepened to a honey color and the butter smells sweet and fragrant.
- Remove the butter from the heat and stir in the chocolate chips. Whisk until the chocolate is totally melted, smooth, and glossy. Let the chocolate cool a few minutes.
- While the chocolate cools, combine brown sugar and eggs in a medium glass bowl. Whisk until the mixture has lightened in color and roughly tripled in volume. This will take 3-5 minutes or so, though you can speed the process by using a hand mixer. The sugar should be completely dissolved–if you rub the mixture between your fingers, there shouldn’t be any sugar crystals or grit.
- When the eggs/sugar are lighter in color and totally dissolved, whisk the mixture into your cooled chocolate until well combined and incorporated.
- Add vanilla, salt, cocoa powder, and gluten-free flour. Stir with a spatula, until the flour is just barely incorporated.
- If adding nuts or chocolate chips, fold them in with a spatula at this point.
- Pour the brownie batter into your prepared baking dish.
- Bake brownies at 325 degrees F. 22-25 minutes, or until the top is shiny and glossy, and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out with a little bit of mostly done batter. It shouldn’t be liquid-y (underbaked) and shouldn’t be dry (overbaked)
- Allow the brownies to cool at least 20-3o minutes before cutting into 12-16 pieces. Feel free to garnish with some flaky sea salt, if desired.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Brownies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: gluten-free brown butter brownies, brown butter brownie recipe, gluten-free brownies