These fudgy lemon brownies are full of zesty citrus flavor. They’re like taking a bite out of sunshine!
For The Gluten-Free Lemon Brownies:
- Zest of 2 lemons (about 2 Tbsp. lemon zest)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup (4 oz./1 stick) butter, softened
- 2 eggs, room temperature (this is important!)
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4–1/2 tsp. almond extract
- 1 cup (120 g.) gluten-free measure-for-measure flour,* scooped and leveled or weighed
- 1/4 cup (32 g.) cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp. salt
For The Lemon Glaze:
- 1 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp. melted butter
Optional: additional lemon zest, for garnish
- Prep Your Pan & Preheat The Oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a square 8×8″ baking pan with parchment paper (I like to have the parchment hanging over two of the sides so I can use them as handles to lift the brownies out of the pan later).
- Combine Lemon Zest & Sugar. In a large bowl or a stand mixer, combine lemon zest & sugar. Use clean fingertips to rub the lemon zest into the sugar until it’s fragrant and yellow. You’re distributing the lemon oils to all those sugar grains which means more powerful lemon flavor in every bite!
- Cream Sugar & Butter. Add softened butter to your lemon zest infused sugar and cream 2-3 minutes, until light, fluffy, and a bit lighter in color.
- Add Eggs One At A Time, beating to incorporate after each addition. Scrape down the sides, then…
- Add Lemon Juice, Vanilla & Almond Extract. Whisk or mix these in until smooth. The mixture may look a bit grainy at this point. Don’t stress!
- Mix In Gluten-Free Flour Blend, Cornstarch & Salt. Now, you’re ready to add the dry ingredients! Add the flour, cornstarch, and salt to your wet ingredients and fold them in with a flexible spatula or mix until JUST combined (try not to over-mix).
- Pour Into Your Prepared Pan. Transfer the lemon brownie batter to your prepared pan and smooth it out into an even layer. (An offset spatula makes this easy!)
- Bake & Cool. Pop your lemon brownies in the oven and bake at 350 degrees F. for 22-26 minutes, or until the venter is just set. Remember, that like brownies, you don’t want to over-bake them or they’ll lose their fudgy texture! Cool the brownies 20-30 minutes, then make your glaze.
- Glaze The Brownies. In a small bowl or a liquid measuring cup, combine powdered sugar, lemon juice, and melted butter. Whisk until completely smooth, adding more powdered sugar if the glaze looks too thin, or more lemon juice if it looks too thick. Pour glaze over the cooled brownies and smooth it out with an offset spatula. Garnish with additional lemon zest & enjoy!
*We recommend King Arthur Baking Measure-For-Measure Gluten-Free Flour for this recipe. If you use another brand, be sure it contains xanthan gum, and know that your results may vary slightly.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: Amercan
Keywords: lemon brownies, lemon brownie recipe, fudgy lemon brownies, gluten-free lemon brownies, gluten free lemon brownies, gluten free lemon brownie recipe