These gluten-free snickerdoodles are taken two a whole new level with brown butter and caramel.
- 1 cup butter, cut into cubes
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups (300g.) measure-for-measure gluten-free flour, like King Arthur (scooped & leveled or weighed)
- 2 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 12–14 caramels, cut in half (optional)
- First, Brown The Butter. Add the butter to a light-colored saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the butter foams and the butter underneath the foam has deepened to a honey color and the butter smells sweet and fragrant.
- Cool The Brown Butter to room temperature (or close to it!) before you mix it with the sugar, so that the sugar doesn’t just melt (which will lead to cookies that spread too much!) I usually take this cooling time to measure and prep all my other ingredients and prep my pans.
- Mix The Cooled Butter With Sugars. Once it’s cooled, mix the brown butter and sugars until the mixture looks like wet sand.
- Add Egg, Egg Yolk & Vanilla. You’ll add the egg and yolk 1 at a time, mixing to incorporate after each addition. Then, add the vanilla and mix to incorporate.
- Mix In The Dry Ingredients. Add the cream of tartar, baking soda, cinnamon, salt, and gluten-free flour to the mixer. Mix until just combined (no dry spots left).
- Chill The Dough. Transfer the dough to an airtight container and cover. Chill the dough in the refrigerator at least 2 hours, up to 24 hours. (This will help with the texture and spread of the cookies, so don’t skip it!)
- Prep To Bake When you’re ready to bake, remove the dough from the refrigerator for 15-20 minutes before scooping. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and line 2 baking sheets with parchment. (So you can alternate baking sheets with each batch. In a medium bowl, combine 1/4 cup sugar and 2 tsp. cinnamon and stir or whisk until well combined.
- Scoop & Roll. Use a medium cookie scoop to measure 1.5″ balls of dough. Roll each ball smooth in your hands, then roll in the cinnamon-sugar to coat. Place 6-8 cookie dough balls on a baking sheet.
- Bake 9-11 minutes, or until the edges are set the centers look *just* underdone. Cool 2 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a cooling rack.
- Repeat this process with each batch of cookie dough. (I recommend returning the dough to the refrigerator in between scooping batches)
IF YOU WANT TO STUFF THEM WITH CARAMEL:
- Cut 16 caramels in half. Use SOFT caramels (they should easily pull apart with your fingers)
- After scooping a cookie dough ball, roll it smooth in between your palms, then flatten it out, starting at the center and moving in a circular direction.
- Place the caramel half in the canter of the flattened disc and fold the sides up and over to completely enclose the caramel in the cookie dough.
- Roll it between your palms again to smooth out the ball.
- Roll in cinnamon-sugar and bake as usual!
- Prep Time: 30 minutes
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: gluten-free snickerdoodles, gluten free snickerdoodle cookies, gluten-free brown butter snickerdoodles, brown butter snickerdoodles, caramel snickerdoodles, caramel stuffed snickerdoodles