This gluten-free rice krispies treats recipe is a total revelation. Gooey, gorgeous, and finished with a few flecks of flaky seas salt, they’re absolutely incredible!
- 5 cups gluten-free crisp rice cereal*
- 1/2 cup (1 stick/4 oz.) butter, cut into cubes
- 10 oz. mini marshmallows
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp. flaky sea salt (like Maldon)
- Prepare Your Pan. Line an 8×8” baking pan with parchment. I like to leave some parchment hanging over the sides to use as handle later. It makes lifting the treats out of the pan super easy!
- Measure & Set Aside Your Rice Krispies Cereal. Add your gluten-free crisp rice cereal to the largest mixing bowl you have. Set aside close by, so its within easy reach when your marshmallow mixture is ready.
- First, Brown The Butter. Add butter to a medium or large saucepan. Melt over medium heat, whisking or stirring nearly constantly until the butter is fully melted and begins to bubble. Continue cooking the butter over medium heat (you’ll hear it popping and bubbling) to let it caramelize and brown. After 6-8 minutes or so, the butter will begin to foam and bubble. When the butter looks deeply golden, smells caramel-y and sweet and you can see that the butter solids are starting to brown, reduce the heat to the lowest possible setting. (The butter will continue to cook and brown on the stovetop, so it’s better to stop a minute early than a minute too late!)
- Immediately Mix In The Marshmallows & Vanilla. As soon as your butter is browned, reduce the heat to LOW and immediately add your marshmallows and vanilla extract. Whisk briskly until the marshmallows are completely melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Pour Marshmallow Mixture Over Crisp Rice Cereal. As soon as the marshmallow mixture is smooth, pour it over your Rice Krispies and stir to combine. This will be a very gooey process, but do your best to work quickly to coat the cereal evenly. (The marshmallow mixture starts to set as soon as you pull it off the heat.)
- Gently Press Down Into Your Baking Pan. Quickly transfer the rice krispies mixture into an even layer in your prepared baking dish. To keep a light, gooey texture, use a gentle hand or a light touch when patting the brown butter Rice Krispies mixture into the pan. I recommend a flexible spatula or your fingertips. (Dip your fingertips in a little water or lightly mist your spatula with spray oil to keep the gooey marshmallow mixture from sticking to you!)
- Finish With Flaky Sea Salt. Lastly, finish by sprinkling some flaky sea salt over the top of your gluten-free Rice Krispies treats.
- Let Them Set At Least 15-30 Minutes Before Slicing. If you try to cut them right away, they’ll be too gooey. (A serrated knife tends to work best for slicing rice krispies treats–it won’t crush the cereal as much!)
*We like Barbara’s brown rice cereal, ALDI Millville, One Degree, or Nature’s Path brands. Do NOT use Rice Krispies brand, as it’s not gluten-free. Be sure to read your ingredient label to make sure there are no wheat, barley, rye, or malt ingredients, as these aren’t safe for gluten intolerance or celiac disease.
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 20 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: No-Bake
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: gluten-free rice krispies treats, gluten-free brown butter rice krispies treats, gluten-free browned butter rice krispies treats, brown butter rice krispies treats