This cookies and cream chex mix is such a fun spin on the classic! Plus, it’s as fun to make as it is to eat!
- 6 cups Rice Chex cereal (or Corn Chex cereal)
- 10 gluten-free Oreos,* crushed to fine crumbs
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 4 teaspoons vegetable oil (or canola oil/coconut oil)
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 6–8 additional gluten-free Oreos, roughly chopped
Start With The “Cookies” Half:
- Divide The Cereal. Divide Chex cereal in half. Place half the cereal into a large mixing bowl (or gallon-size zip-top bag) and the other half in a second mixing bowl (or gallon size bag). I find it easier to mix and coat the cereal by stirring it in a bowl, but if you prefer to shake yours in a bag, you absolutely can!
- Crush Oreos. Next, pulse gluten-free Oreos in a food processor or place them in a plastic bag and crush them with a rolling pin or measuring cup to a fine powder. These will be used to coat the “cookies” half of the recipe.
- Make The Crumb Mixture & Powdered Sugar Mixture. Add 2 Tablespoons of the cookie crumbs to the powdered sugar, and 2 Tablespoons of the crumbs mixture to the powdered sugar and set aside. Add 1/4 teaspoon salt to both the crumbs mixture and the powdered sugar mixture.
- Melt The Chocolate. In a microwave-safe bowl, gently melt the semisweet chocolate chips with 1 teaspoon of oil in 15-20-second increments, stirring after each interval, until the chocolate is smooth and glossy.
- Make The “Cookies” Half. Working quickly, pour the melted chocolate mixture over the cereal in the first bowl and stir to coat well. (If using a bag, pour the chocolate over the cereal in one bag, seal the bag with as much air in it as possible, and shake to coat the cereal well.) When the cereal is coated in chocolate, quickly add the crushed Oreo crumbs to the bowl (or bag) and stir (or shake) to coat the cereal in cookie crumbs.
Finish With The “Cream” Half:
- Make The White Chocolate. In a microwave-safe bowl, gently melt the white chocolate chips with the remaining 1 Tablespoon (3 teaspoons) oil in 15-20-second increments, stirring after each interval, until the white chocolate is smooth and glossy.
- Make The “Cream” Half. Working quickly, pour the melted white chocolate mixture over the cereal in the second bowl and stir to coat well. (If using a bag, pour the white chocolate over the cereal in the second bag, seal the bag with as much air in it as possible, and shake to coat the cereal well.) When the cereal is coated in white chocolate, quickly add the powdered sugar mixture to the bowl (or bag) and stir (or shake) to coat the cereal in powdered sugar. (There will likely be some leftover powdered sugar. This will help coat the Oreo cereal as you combine them later)
- Finish The Snack Mix. You should now have half the recipe covered in chocolate and cookie crumbs and half the recipe in white chocolate and powdered sugar. Combine the two halves in a large serving bowl or a sheet pan and mix in the chopped Oreos to finish.
- Serve & Store. Oreo Muddy Buddies are best enjoyed within 2-3 days. Cover the mix and store in an airtight container or bag at room temperature up to 3 days. (Or freeze for even longer storage!)
*You must ONLY use the Gluten-Free Oreos (white package) for this recipe to keep it gluten-free, as regular Oreo cookies (blue package) are NOT gluten-free. You can also use another brand of gluten-free sandwich cookies, like Glutino, Kinnikinnick, Goodie Girl, etc.
Having Trouble Melting The Chocolate? Different brands of white chocolate chips have different percentages of fat. More fat = easier to melt! If your white chocolate chips aren’t melting easily, you can add 1/2 teaspoon or so of extra canola, coconut, or vegetable oil to help it melt better. (This shouldn’t impact the taste!)
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 4 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: No-Bake
- Cuisine: American