Gluten-Free Fried Ice Cream – Our un-fried gluten-free fried ice cream recipe is so easy and delicious. You’ll love the cinnamon-y crunch of the coating with the creamy ice cream!
For The Fried Ice Cream Coating:
- 3 Tablespoons butter
- 3 cups corn flakes (certified gluten-free, as needed!)
- 3 Tablespoons sugar
- 1 Tablespoon cinnamon
- Tiny pinch (less than 1/8 teaspoon) salt
For The Fried Ice Cream:
- 1 quart (4 cups) vanilla ice cream
- Whipped cream
- Chocolate syrup or chocolate sauce
- Fresh strawberries or strawberry sauce
- Raspberry sauce
- Caramel sauce
- Crush The Corn Flakes. Start by crushing the corn flakes until there are no full flakes left. You don’t want them to be a fine powder, just small crunchy bits to create the coating. You can crush them in a bowl with the back of a measuring cup, pulse them a few times in a food processor, or place them in a bag and smash them with a rolling pin or back of a measuring cup. They all work!
- Melt The Butter. Next, melt the butter in a large pan over medium-low heat.
- Toast The Topping. Add the gluten-free corn flake crumbs, sugar, cinnamon, and salt to the melted butter. Stir to coat well with the melted butter and toast 3-5 minutes, stirring regularly so the sugar doesn’t burn.
- Cool The topping. Remove the fried ice cream coating from the heat and transfer to a shallow bowl. Let them cool 5-10 minutes before scooping your ice cream. (The crumb topping will crisp even more as it cools.)
- Prep A Pan. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set it aside as the crumbs cool.
- Scoop & Roll The Ice Cream. Remove the ice cream from the freezer a few minutes before you’re ready to roll the ice cream. Working one scoop at a time, scoop a 1/2 cup ball of ice cream and add it to the crumb coating. Gently roll and coat the ice cream ball with the crispy crumbs, then place on your prepared baking sheet. Repeat until you have 8 balls of ice cream. (You will likely have leftover crumbs.)
- Freeze. Transfer the fried ice cream balls to the freezer for at least 10-15 minutes before serving.
- Serve. Plate each fried ice cream ball and top with whipped cream and your favorite goodies. Store leftover fried ice cream covered in the freezer up to 1 week. (The topping will begin to soften after 3-4 days.)
Yummy Variation To Try: Add Coconut! One of my favorite variations on this gluten-free fried ice cream recipe is mixing in some sweetened shredded coconut into the topping. I add 1/2 cup shredded coconut along with the other topping ingredients & toast it on the stovetop The flavor is LOVELY!
- Prep Time: 25 minutes
- Chill Time: 15 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: No-Bake
- Cuisine: Tex-Mex
Keywords: gluten-free fried ice cream, gluten free fried ice cream recipe, fried ice cream coating, unfried ice cream, fried ice cream without deep frying