Our Fudgy gluten-free pecan brownies recipe has the most incredible texture and flavor, thanks to brown butter, toasted pecans, and plenty of chocolate!
For The Pecan Brownies:
- 8 Tablespoons (1 stick, 4 oz.) butter
- 9 oz. chocolate (1 1/2 cups chocolate chips or chopped chocolate)
- 1 cup (200 grams) light brown sugar
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup (90 grams) gluten-free measure-for-measure flour,* weighed or scooped and leveled
- 1/3 cup (30 grams) Dutch processed unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup chopped toasted pecans
- 1/2 cup dark or semisweet chocolate chips
To Top The Brownies:
- 1/4 cup dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans (some whole, some chopped)
- Preheat The Oven & Prep The Pan. Start by preheating the oven to 325 degrees F. Line a square 8-inch metal baking pan with parchment paper. (If you haven’t already, toast the pecans on a baking sheet for 6-8 minutes while the oven is preheating.)
- Brown The Butter. Add the butter to a light-colored saucepan and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the butter foams and the butter underneath the foam has deepened to a honey color and the butter smells sweet and fragrant. (This will take about 10-12 minutes)
- Melt The Chocolate. Quickly remove the butter from the heat and stir in the chocolate chips. Whisk until the chocolate is totally melted, smooth, and glossy. Let the chocolate cool a few minutes.
- Whisk Sugar & Eggs. While the chocolate cools, combine brown sugar and eggs in a medium glass bowl. Whisk until the mixture has lightened in color and roughly tripled in volume. This will take 3-5 minutes or so, though you can speed the process by using a hand mixer. The sugar should be completely dissolved–if you rub the mixture between your fingers, there shouldn’t be any sugar crystals or grit. (This ensures the tops of the brownies will be glossy)
- Add Chocolate To The Eggs. When the eggs/sugar are lighter in color and totally dissolved, whisk the mixture into your cooled chocolate until well combined and incorporated.
- Add The Vanilla and mix to combine.
- Mix In Dry Ingredients. Add in the gluten-free flour blend, cocoa powder, and salt. Stir until just a few dry floury patches remain.
- Add Chopped Pecans & Chocolate Chips and gently fold in until just combined–no flour/dry spots remain and the chocolate chips and pecans are evenly distributed.
- Pour Into Pan & Top. Pour batter into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle with a few more pecans and chocolate chips. Gently pat in a little to help them stay in place.
- Bake The Brownies for 25-28 minutes. The top should look glossy and set and the brownies should still be fudgy. (Try not to over-bake, or the brownies will be more cakey.) Remove from the oven and sprinkle with flaky sea salt, if desired.
- Cool Before Slicing. Let the brownies cool completely if possible, before slicing into rectangles or squares. (Chilled brownies will cut the most cleanly and neatly!)
- Serve & Store. Enjoy the brownies once they’ve cooled, or cover and store in an airtight container at room temperature 2-3 days, or in the freezer up to 2 months.
*We love and recommend King Arthur Measure-For-Measure gluten-free flour for these brownies (and all our brownies, cookies, cakes, and muffins!) If you use another gf flour blend, be sure it contains xanthan gum so your brownies turn our correctly.
- Prep Time: 10 minutes
- Cook Time: 35 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: gluten-free pecan brownies, gluten-free pecan brownie recipe, pecan brownies