Soft, chewy gluten-free s’mores bars made with gooey marshmallow and melty chocolate between two layers of graham cookie.
For The Graham Cookie Layer:
- 1/2 cup (4 oz/8 Tablespoons) Butter, softened
- 3/4 cup (150 grams) brown sugar
- 1 egg, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup (120 grams) gluten-free measure-for-measure flour
- 1 cup (120 grams) gluten-free graham cracker crumbs*
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
For The S’mores Layers:
- 1 (7 oz.) container marshmallow fluff or marshmallow creme (do not substitute marshmallows)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or chopped chocolate bars
- Preheat & Prep. Start by preheating the oven to 350 degrees F. Line an 8×8 pan metal pan with parchment paper or foil. (I prefer parchment paper so I don’t scratch my pan)
- Cream The Butter And Sugar. In a large mixing bowl or the bowl of a stand mixer, combine softened butter and brown sugar. Cream for 2-3 minutes, or until smooth and fluffy.
- Add Egg & Vanilla to the butter/sugar mixture and mix to combine.
- Add Dry Ingredients. Scrape down the edges of the bowl and add gluten-free flour, gluten-free graham cracker crumbs, baking powder, and salt. Mix until just combined and no dry patches remain.
- Pat Out The Base Layer. Take roughly 2/3 of the graham cracker cookie dough and pat or spread out into your prepared pan. The dough will be sticky, so take your time here to get it into an even layer. An offset spatula is the easiest way to make it smooth and even! (It’s ok if it’s not perfectly 2/3 of the dough, just do your best.)
- Spread With Marshmallow. Next, spread the marshmallow fluff over the bottom layer of cookie dough and spread into an even layer.
- Sprinkle With Chocolate Chips. Then, sprinkle the chocolate chips or chopped chocolate over the marshmallow layer as evenly as you can.
- Add The Top Layer. With the remaining 1/3 of the graham cracker cookie dough, take small dollops of dough and pat them out to an even layer in your hand. Spread these little flattened dollops over the top of the marshmallows and chocolate chips. There won’t be enough dough to cover everything, so just space out the dollops the best you can. (This lets some of the marshmallow peek through later–so yummy!)
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25-28 minutes, or until the dough is just set and starting to turn golden. It may seem jiggly when the pan wiggles (this is the gooey marshmallow layer!) As long as the top looks set, it’s probably done!
- Cool Completely. Let the s’mores cookie bars cool completely before slicing into bars. (Note: These are fairly gooey like traditional s’mores, so the best way to get clean cuts is to chill the bars in the refrigerator first. They’ll cut much easier & neater cold!
- Store leftover cookie bars in an airtight container at room temperature 2-3 days, in the refrigerator 4-5 days, or in the freezer up to 2 months.
*We love Pamela’s gluten-free graham crackers. Put them in a food processor to pulse to crumbs quickly, or place in a bag and smash to fine crumbs with a rolling pin. You don’t want any large pieces.
**For a pretty touch, feel free to garnish with a little sprinkle of flaky sea salt
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: gluten-free s'mores bars, gluten-free smores bars, gluten free smores cookie bars, gluten-free s'mores cookie bars