This easy chocolate sauce is perfect for ice cream, chocolate milk, and so much more. It’s like homemade Hershey’s syrup!
- 1/2 cup (40 grams) unsweetened cocoa powder (regular not Dutch processed)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/8–1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup water (or milk)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- Optional: 1 Tablespoon butter
- Mix The Dry Ingredients. Add cocoa powder, sugar, and salt to a small saucepan. Whisk to combine.
- Add Water Or Milk. Pour in the water or milk and whisk until smooth.
- Bring To A Simmer. Stir the chocolate mixture over medium heat until it just begins to boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer the chocolate syrup 2-3 minutes, or until it thickens slightly and there are no lumps remaining.
- Stir In The Vanilla. Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the vanilla (and the butter, if using). Note that the chocolate syrup will look quite thin at this point. This is normal! It will continue to thicken as it cools, but will remain easily pourable.
- Cool & Store. Allow the chocolate syrup to cool a bit, then transfer to a glass jar to store. Chocolate syrup will keep in the fridge 1-2 weeks. (1 week if you used milk.)
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: chocolate syrup, chocolate syrup recipe, homemade chocolate syrup, homemade chocolate sauce, homemade hershey's syrup,