These orange cranberry cookies have plenty of chocolate in every bite. They’re a perfect gluten-free holiday cookie!
- 1 cup sugar
- 2–3 tsp. fresh orange zest (from 1 orange)
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 cup (2 sticks, 8 oz.) softened butter
- 2 eggs, ideally room temperature
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups (300 g.) gluten-free measure-for-measure flour, scooped and leveled or weighed (We recommend King Arthur brand)
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chunks (or chocolate chips)
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet or dark chocolate chips (or chocolate chunks)
- 1 cup dried cranberries
Infuse The Sugar. Add the sugar and orange zest to your mixer (or a large bowl). Rub the zest into the sugar with clean/dry fingers to infuse the sugar with the orange essential oils. The sugar should take on a peachy orange color and the orange should be very fragrant.
Cream With Brown Sugar & Butter. Next, add the brown sugar and softened butter to the orange zest & sugar. Beat the mixture about 2 minutes, until creamy and slightly lighter in color.
Add Eggs, One At A Time, beating to incorporate between each addition.
Then, Add The Vanilla and beat to combine.
Scrape Down The Edges And Add Your Dry Ingredients. Add baking soda, baking powder, and salt to the mixer. Add about half of the flour (adding it a bit at a time helps prevent spills). Mix about 20 seconds or so until it’s mostly incorporated and add the rest of the flour. Mix until just almost combined.
Add Chocolate & Dried Cranberries. Scrape down the edges of the bowl again as needed and add chocolate chunks, chocolate chips, and dried cranberries. Stir to combine. (The dough will be thick and sticky at this point)
Cover & Chill The Dough. Chill the dough at least 2 hours (up to 24 hours) before baking. This will allow the flour to hydrate properly
Preheat The Oven & Prep Your Baking Sheets. When you’re ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper (You’ll alternate between the two sheets to allow the baking sheet to cool down between batches)
- Scoop The Dough Into Balls using a medium cookie scoop (1.5″ balls) and place 6-8 cookie dough balls on one of the prepared baking sheets. (Refrigerate the rest of the dough between batches)
- Bake 8-10 minutes (mine needed 9.5 min) or until the edges are set and golden and the centers of the cookies look just slightly underdone. (They’ll continue cooking as they cool on the baking sheet).
- Cool 2 minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer to a cooling rack to continue cooling and setting.
- Repeat with remaining dough until all the cookies are baked, alternating between the two cookie sheets so you’re not putting cold dough on hot baking sheets.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook Time: 45 minutes
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: gluten-free orange cranberry chocolate chip cookies, gluten free orange cranberry chocolate chunk cookies, cranberry chocolate chip cookies, orange chocolate chip cookies, orange cranberry cookies