We’ve taken the best gluten-free chocolate crinkle cookies and given them a minty twist for the holidays!
- 1 3/4 cup (210g.) gluten-free, measure-for-measure flour, scooped and leveled or weighed (We recommend King Arthur brand)
- 1 cup unsweetened Dutch-processed cocoa powder (sometimes labeled dark cocoa powder or alkalized cocoa powder)
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks or 6 oz. ) softened butter (cool to the touch, but not hard)
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 1/2–2 tsp. peppermint extract (2 tsp. for a stronger flavor)
- 1/4 cup lightly crushed peppermint candies or candy canes (about 10 mini candy canes)
- 1 cup powdered sugar (you likely won’t use all of it!)*
- In a medium bowl, combine gluten-free flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt. Whisk to combine and set aside.
- In a mixer or large bowl, cream butter and sugar together for 2 minutes, until creamy and smooth. Add eggs one at a time, beating to incorporate each egg before adding the next.
- Add vanilla and peppermint extracts.
- Scrape down the edges of the mixer and add half of the dry ingredients. Slowly beat on low until partially mixed in, then add the remaining dry ingredients. Stir until just combined.
- Scrape down the edges again and fold in the crushed candy cane.
- Transfer to an airtight container and chill the dough at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- When you’re ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. and line two baking sheets with parchment. (You’ll alternate which baking sheet you use on each batch so you don’t put cold dough on a warm pan.)
- Add powdered sugar to a small bowl and set aside for rolling.
- Use a medium cookie scoop to scoop the cookie dough into even portions. Roll each into a smooth ball and roll in powdered sugar to coat completely. (Return the rest of the dough to the refrigerator)
- Place on prepared baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees F. for 8-10 minutes, or until the edges are set and the centers look *just* slightly underdone. (They’ll continue to cook for a few minutes on the baking sheet)
- Let cookies cool and set 2-3 minutes on the baking sheet before transferring to a cooling rack to finish cooling.
- Repeat rolling process with remaining dough, alternating batches between baking sheets, until all the cookies are baked.
*You won’t use all the powdered sugar for this recipe. You’ll need about 1/2 cup total to coat the cookies, but it’s MUCH easier to coat them if you measure out a full cup.
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Chill Time: 2 hours
- Cook Time: 40 minutes
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Baking
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: gluten free chocolate crinkle cookies, peppermint chocolate crinkle cookies, gluten free crinkle cookies, gluten-free peppermint chocolate crinkle cookies