These thick chocolate peanut butter chip cookies are as delicious as they are impressive! You’ll love recreating these gluten-free Levain cookies at home!
- 1 cup (2 sticks, 8 oz.) cool butter, cut into cubes (cool butter is important so the cookies don’t spread too much!)
- 1 cup brown sugar (lightly packed)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (48g .) unsweetened dark cocoa powder* (or 1/4 cup dark cocoa + 1/4 cup regular cocoa)
- 2 1/3 cup (280 g.) gluten-free measure for measure flour**, weighed or scooped and leveled
- 3 Tbsp. (23 g.) cornstarch
- 3/4 tsp. baking soda
- 1 1/4 tsp. salt
- 3 cups peanut butter chips (we recommend Reese’s brand)
- Preheat the oven to 415 degrees F. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. (You’ll only bake one batch at a time, but you don’t want to put cold dough on a hot baking sheet.)
- In a stand mixer, cream butter, brown sugar, and sugar 2-3 minutes, or until slightly lighter in color and fluffy. Scrape down the edges of the mixer.
- Add eggs one at a time, beating to incorporate after each addition. Scrape down the edges of the mixer again.
- Add cocoa powder, gluten-free flour, cornstarch, and salt. Mix until almost combined, but still powdery.
- Add peanut butter chips and mix until the dough is no longer powdery and the peanut butter chips are fairly evenly distributed.
- Use a large spatula to stir through the dough once more to make sure the peanut butter chips are well distributed.
- Use a 2/3 cup to scoop 6-6.2 oz. balls of dough. For best results and most even baking, it is highly recommended that you weigh each cookie dough ball. This might seem fussy, but it’ll ensure that the cookies bake evenly.
- Gently shape the dough balls into balls with your hands. Don’t make them perfectly smooth or pack the dough down tightly. You want to just gently shape.
- Arrange just 4 balls of dough at a time on a baking sheet, arranging the cookies slightly offset from each other (see the photos or video for an example). Place remaining cookie dough in the refrigerator to keep the butter cold while the first batch bakes. (This prevents the cookies from spreading too much)
- Bake the first batch of cookies at 415 degrees for 11-14 minutes, or until the outsides look set but the centers are still molten.
- Allow the cookies to cool on the baking sheet at least 2-3 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack. Cool at LEAST 20-25 minutes on the cooling rack before you break, cut, or bite into the cookies. (If you try to eat or cut them earlier, they’ll still be underdone in the centers!)
- Repeat the cooking process with the remaining dough, allowing all cookies to cool completely (at least 20-25 minutes) before eating.
- Store leftover cookies at room temperature 1-2 days, or store in the freezer up to 6 weeks.
*These will have an intense chocolate flavor if you use all dark cocoa. If that’s not your jam, you can use 1/4 cup dark cocoa and 1/4 cup regular cocoa. It’ll give them a more balanced chocolate flavor, though they won’t look quite as dark.
**We highly recommend King Arthur Measure-For-Measure gluten-free flour blend for this recipe. If you use another flour blend, your results may vary slightly. Be sure that whatever blend you use contains xanthan gum!
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cooling Time: 25 minutes
- Cook Time: 25 minutes
- Category: Cookies
- Method: Oven
- Cuisine: American
Keywords: gluten-free chocolate peanut butter chip cookies, gluten-free levain chocolate peanut butter chip cookies, gluten-free levain dark chocolate peanut butter chip cookies, gluten-free levain cookies