Easy 2-Ingredient Chocolate Shell For Ice Cream – This homemade magic shell topping recipe adds a perfect chocolatey crunch to your favorite scoop of ice cream!
How many fun memories do you have that include ice cream?
It just feels like one of the most FUN desserts. (Though basically I think all dessert is fun…)
Ice cream is one of my parents’ favorite desserts, so it was often the one we turned to when it was time for a treat. There were lots of Sundays growing up when we’d eat a bigger lunch and then just have popcorn and ice cream for dinner. (It felt like such a treat!) Or, on vacation, we’d go out for ice cream and I’d order a chocolate-dipped cone because I loved the crackly crunch of the chocolate shell with the cold creaminess of the ice cream underneath.
It’s just one of those treats that feels so fun to eat!
Well today, I’m excited to share the secrets of homemade magic chocolate shell that tastes as good as the kind you get from an ice cream shop. When you’re done, you’ll be able to make that magic chocolate sauce that hardens as soon as it touches the cold ice cream right in your own kitchen!
Here’s the biggest secret of all: you only need TWO ingredients and less than 5 minutes to make it. Really! It’s one of the easiest ice cream toppings to make.
Here are the 2 ingredients you need to make chocolate shell for ice cream…
Table Of Contents:
- The 2 Ingredients You Need To Make Chocolate Shell
- How Does Magic Chocolate Shell Work?
- How To Make Homemade Chocolate Shell, Step-By-Step
- Yummy Ways To Use Magic Shell
- FAQ + Tips For The Best Chocolate Shell Every Time
- Our Favorite Tools & Ingredients For Homemade Magic Shell
- RECIPE: Homemade Magic Chocolate Shell
The 2 Ingredients You Need To Make Chocolate Shell:
If you’ve ever wondered “what is chocolate shell made of?,” the answer might surprise you! The only two ingredients are chocolate chips and coconut oil! That means it’s super easy to make when the craving strikes. Let’s take a closer look at what each ingredient does in this magic shell recipe…
- Chocolate Chips. Firstly, you’ll need chocolate chips (or the same amount of chopped chocolate bars) to make this magic chocolate sauce. The combination of cocoa solids and fat makes it a better choice than cocoa powder texturally, and it adds a rich, gorgeous chocolate flavor. But the real secret ingredient is…
- Coconut Oil. Adding coconut oil to the chocolate is what makes chocolate shell harden! Using refined coconut oil will give your chocolate shell a more neutral taste, while virgin coconut oil will allow some of the coconut flavor to come through. Use whichever works best for your taste!
How Does Magic Chocolate Shell Work?
Magic! Just kidding–science! The saturated fat in the coconut oil solidifies quickly at cold temperatures, so when you pour it onto cold ice cream (or something else cold), the fat quickly solidifies, turning the melty chocolate into a hard, glossy chocolate “shell” on the ice cream.
How To Make Homemade Chocolate Shell, Step-By-Step:
Now that you’ve got your chocolate shell ingredients (just chocolate chips + coconut oil!), you’re ready to make some magic shell! Here’s what you’ll do, step-by-step. Don’t worry, it’s an easy recipe!
- In a medium microwave-safe bowl, combine chocolate chips and coconut oil.
- Next, microwave in 20-30 second increments, stirring well between each one. (I recommend a lower power setting (like MELT or DEFROST) if you have one for extra caution.)
- Melt until the chocolate has just a few tiny pieces of chocolate chips left and stir until the residual heat from the chocolate has melted them. The chocolate sauce should be totally smooth and glossy.
- Add flavors if you want. If you’re adding any mix-ins (like salt, vanilla, peppermint extract, etc.) stir those in at this point.
- Transfer to a jar & let it cool a minute or two so it doesn’t instantly melt the ice cream. I transfer mine to a jar for easy storage and pouring.
- Pour over ice cream or frozen treats and watch it harden! It’ll only take a minute or so!
Now you’re ready to use it! Here are some of our favorite uses for magic shell chocolate sauce…
Yummy Ways To Use CHocolate Shell
- As a Topping For Ice Cream. Our favorite! Drizzle chocolate shell over ice cream sundaes and watch it harden. It’ll go from shiny and glossy to more matte as it hardens. This only takes a few seconds!
- To Garnish Milkshakes or Nice Cream. Or, use our magic shell as a garnish for milkshakes or nice cream recipes (like this Healthy Cookie Dough Nice Cream).
- To Dip Frozen Banana Pops. Make chocolate-dipped banana pops by freezing bananas on popsicle sticks and dipping into this magic shell. Then add your favorite toppings for a fun & healthier treat!
- To Make Homemade TrüFrü Bites. Dip frozen raspberries in chocolate shell and set them on a baking sheet lined with parchment to set. They taste unbelievably good!
- To Top Hi-Hat Cupcakes. Have you ever tried one of these epic cupcakes? You top your favorite cupcake with Swiss meringue frosting, chill or freeze until VERY cold, then dip in chocolate shell. It makes for epic presentation!
FAQ + Tips For The Best Chocolate Shell Every Time:
3 Tricks For The Best Magic Shell:
- Use a bowl that’s totally dry and clean. Water can cause melted chocolate to seize and go gritty. We’re looking for smooth, glossy chocolate, so we need to use a dry, clean bowl that only contains our chocolate + the coconut oil.
- Melt in short time intervals to avoid scorching. Stir frequently (every 20-3o seconds) to avoid scorching your chocolate. I also recommend using a lower power setting (like “melt” or “defrost” if possible, to make the melting process even gentler.
- Use refined coconut oil to minimize the coconut taste. If you don’t want your chocolate sauce to taste coconut-y, I recommend refined coconut oil. It’s got a MUCH more muted, mild flavor and will really let the chocolate shine through.
How To Store Chocolate Shell Topping. You DON’T want to refrigerate or freeze chocolate shell to store, as it will immediately harden and turn into a giant rock. Instead, leftover magic shell tightly in an airtight jar or container and store at room temperature, where you can easily re-heat it in the microwave or on the stove to use again. Leftover chocolate shell or magic shell will keep well at room temperature about 2 weeks or so.
How Do You Re-Heat Chocolate Shell? Since you’re storing it at room temperature, leftover chocolate shell is easy to re-heat. You can re-warm it in the microwave (scoop out what you need or store in a microwave-safe jar/container) in 20-30 second increments until it’s smooth and glossy again. Or, re-heat over low heat on the stove.
Will Magic Shell Harden On Cupcakes or Cake? Only if your cupcakes or cake are cold. If they’re room temperature or warm, the chocolate won’t harden quickly (because the saturated fats won’t turn solid at room temperature, like they do at cold temperatures). Cupcakes should be placed in the refrigerator at least 1 hour or the freezer at least 30-60 minutes before you attempt to add chocolate shell to ensure that they’re cold.
Can I Use Something Besides Coconut Oil To Make Chocolate Shell? Shortening or avocado oil can be used, though your results and flavor will vary slightly.
Can I Make Other Flavors of Chocolate Shell? You bet! It all kind of depends on the chocolate you use. Our homemade magic shell recipe will work with semi-sweet, milk, dark, and white chocolate. You can also experiment with butterscotch chips and peanut butter chips for other flavors. You can also add 1/4 tsp. of vanilla or 1/8-1/4 tsp. peppermint extract to the melted chocolate shell to add more flavor.
Our Favorite Tools & Ingredients For Homemade Magic Shell:
- Our Pretty White Saucepan – Melts evenly and looks pretty doing it!
- Silicone Spatula – So you don’t scratch your pans & can scrape out every last bit of chocolate sauce. We love these!
- Our Favorite Chocolate Chips – I love the dark & semi-sweet, but they also make milk chocolate!
- Coconut Oil. If you don’t want a coconut flavor, I recommend refined coconut oil. Otherwise, regular virgin coconut oil will work!
- A Jar To Store It In – Absolutely any jar with a lid will work! We love these jars for ALL the things–jam, chocolate sauce, overnight oats, whatever!