Gluten-Free Sprinkle Sugar Cookies – Soft gluten-free sugar cookies with sprinkles are so cute! They’re perfect for celebrating holidays, birthdays, and special occasions.
I’m a big reader, and one of my favorite books from the last few year’s is Ingrid Fetell Lee’s book Joyful, in which she examines the ways ordinary things in our environment (color, design, shapes, elements, etc.) makes us happy. I love that her book looks at examples like colorful buildings and their ability to shape a neighborhood or city, or clothing that’s beautiful and functional, and even things as simple as the fact that humans love to see circles and repeated items.
It makes sense when you think about it–bubbles, gumballs in a jar, balloons, cookies lined up in a display, happy colored fingernails, confetti, sprinkles, etc. All so happy right? Well you know what can give you a double-dose of joy today? Sprinkle Cookies!
These gluten-free sprinkle sugar cookies are as delicious as they are joyful and charming. Their happy colorful look along with their gorgeous texture and signature flavor make them an absolute joy to make and eat.
These gluten-free funfetti cookies look fun and festive anytime, whether you’re dressing them up for a holiday or making them on a Monday. I love that they look a little more fun and fancy, but they’re INCREDIBLY easy to make. Like, it’s almost silly.
Here’s what you’ll need to make these soft gluten-free sugar cookies with sprinkles…
Our sprinkle cookie recipe, at a glance:
Ingredients You’ll Need To Make GLuten-Free Sugar Cookies With Sprinkles:
- Softened Butter. The base of these cookies is a basic sugar cookie dough. For this, we’ll start with butter which lends beautiful soft texture and flavor, along with some…
- Sugar. Together, then sugar and butter will get creamed to be light and fluffy. It makes a perfect blank canvas for color (sprinkles) and flavor (coming right up!).
- Eggs. To bind the ingredients together and give you those nice slightly chewy edges with soft middles.
- Vanilla. Enter: flavor! Use the best-tasting vanilla you can, as most birthday cake cookies, funfetti cookies, and sprinkle cookies get their flavor from plenty of vanilla.
- Almond Extract. Technically optional if you’re not a fan, but pretty classic in a good sugar cookie or birthday-cake flavored recipe. I love what it adds!
- Baking Powder. Gotta get that puff!
- Salt. To balance the flavor. Don’t skip it!
- Gluten-Free Measure-For-Measure Flour.
- Sprinkles. You can’t make sprinkle sugar cookies without sprinkles! You’ll want to use jimmies (the oblong/rectangle/cylinder shaped sprinkles) or quins (flat round circles or shaped sprinkles). These sprinkles won’t bleed their color into the dough and hold up well when baked. They’re the classic shapes for funfetti cakes and work well in gluten-free funfetti cookies, too!
Mix It Up! Make Your Sprinkle Sugar Cookies Work For Holidays & Celebrations all year long:
- For Birthdays. I love using multi-color jimmies (pictured in these photos) that remind people of birthday cakes. Or, you can pick sprinkles in the birthday person’s favorite colors.
- For Valentine’s Day. Try heart-shaped quins sprinkles or red, pink, and white jimmies.
- For St. Patrick’s Day. Go for green! Pick shamrock quins or green and white jimmies.
- For Mardi Gras. You can totally make sprinkle cookies for mardi gras! Use yellow, purple, and green sprinkles to mimic king cake.
- For Easter. Think pastels. Use natural-colored jimmies in softer colors, or pick up some pastel jimmies.
- For 4th Of July. Red, white, and blue! Use jimmies or find some star-shaped quins for an extra festive look. You can even mix + match the jimmies + stars!
- For Halloween. Get spooky with oranges, blacks, greens, whites, and purples. Or pick up some jack-o-lantern, ghost, or bat quins.
- For Hanukkah. Celebrate with blue and white!
- For Christmas. Use classic red & green or red & white for a festive look!
FAQ + Tips For The Best Gluten-Free Sprinkle Sugar Cookies:
What Kind Of Sprinkles Do You Use For Sprinkle Sugar Cookies? I recommend jimmies or quins. They won’t bleed their color and they tend to give you the look most people are going for with gluten-free funfetti cookies or gluten-free sprinkle cookies. Learn more in our Sprinkles 101 post!
Do You Put Sprinkles On Sugar Cookies Before Or After Baking? For sprinkle sugar cookies, you’ll add the sprinkles directly to the dough. You also have the option to dip the tops of the dough balls into additional sprinkles to coat the tops of the cookies as they bake. If you only want to use sprinkles for decorating with frosting, wait until the cookies have cooled and you’ve frosted them to add the sprinkles.
Can You Freeze Sprinkle Sugar Cookie Dough? Yes! You can freeze sprinkle sugar cookie dough! Prepare the dough as directed, all the way until after you chill the dough for 30 minutes. Scoop the dough into balls and place on a baking sheet in a single layer, in a freezer-safe bag in a single layer, or a freezer-safe container in a single layer. Freeze at least 1 hour or until no longer tacky. Then, you can transfer the dough balls to one bag or a large container together in the freezer. (You want to let them freeze a bit first individually so the dough balls don’t all stick together.) Learn more about how to freeze cookie dough & bake cookies from the freezer in this post!Print