Rice Krispies are NOT gluten-free, but here are a few gluten-free crisp rice cereal brands that are perfect for gluten-free Rice Krispies treats, no-bake treats, and more.
Navigating the world of gluten-free baking and eating is, in some ways, like learning a whole new language. There are some things that are obviously NOT gluten-free—things like wheat bread, or most kinds of pasta.
But then, there are things that have sneaky gluten in them. Things you wouldn’t normally expect, like chicken broth, or seasoning mixes, or RICE KRISPIES!
I remember being totally shocked at learning that this crisp rice cereal was NOT gluten-free. Isn’t it just made of rice?
Newp. No it is not.
Kellogg’s Rice Krispies brand crisp rice cereal is NOT gluten-free, since it’s made with malt syrup, which is derived from barley and contains gluten.
But never fear! There ARE some gluten-free crisp rice cereal brands out there that can help you satisfy your Rice Krispies treats cravings! Let’s get to it!
Gluten-Free Rice Krispies, At A Glance:
Are Kellogg’s Rice Krispies Gluten-Free?
No. In the U.S., Kellogg’s Rice Krispies cereal is NOT gluten-free. It’s made with malt syrup, which is made from barley and contains gluten. It is not safe to eat for individuals with gluten intolerance or Celiac disease.
For a while, Kellogg’s DID carry a variety of gluten-free Rice Krispies, but they discontinued them, reporting difficulty of making it and low interest.
What Brands Of Rice Krispies ARE Gluten-Free?
So now that you know which brands AREN’T gluten-free, which crisp rice cereal brands ARE gluten-free? The formulations change all the time, but 4 of our favorite gluten-free Rice Krispies brands are:
- Barbara’s Organic Brown Rice Crisps Cereal
- One Degree Brown Rice Crisps Cereal
- Nature’s Path Crispy Rice Cereal
- Aldi Crispy Rice
Barbara’s Organic Crisp Rice Cereal
- At A Glance: High quality ingredients, no corn syrup, great texture. Our all-around favorite!
- Cost: $4.19-5.99
- Where To Buy: Sprouts, Amazon, Walmart, Natural Grocer’s, Vitacost
Barbara’s is our go-to gluten-free crisp rice cereal, simply because its the easiest for us to find. Barbara’s crisp rice cereal is made from brown rice, so the color is slightly darker, even though it has a delicate crisp texture like the white-rice-based Rice Krispies brand.
One Degree Brown Rice Crisps Cereal
- At A Glance: Sprouted, so easier to digest, more puffed and rounded in appearance
- Price: $4.99-5.99
- Where To Buy: Sprouts, Thrive Market, Natural Grocers, Whole Foods, Vitacost
One Degree specializes in sprouted grains. Sprouting is considered to make grains more easily digestible and gentle on your body. I don’t notice any difference in flavor myself, but these are a great option when I’m in the mood to bake! They’re delicately sweet and have a light, crisp texture you’re looking for in gluten-free Rice Krispies.
Nature’s Path Crispy Rice Cereal
- At A Glance: Smallest grains, round puffed shape (rather than flat), lightest in color
- Price: $4.99
- Where To Buy: Sprouts, Natural Grocers, iHerb, Walmart, Amazon
Nature’s Path is another great brand to keep an eye out for. It’s one of the only brands of gluten-free Rice Krispies that’s made with white rice instead of brown rice. If color is super important to you, this brand IS lighter in color than other brands. I do find the individual grains are less delicate and fine than Rice Krispies brand, but it still works great for things like Rice Krispies treats or scotcheroos.
Aldi Crispy Rice Cereal
- At A Glance: Most affordable of the bunch, darkest color, great crisp texture, does contain corn syrup
- Price: $1.65
- Where To Buy: Aldi stores
Do you live by an Aldi? Their store-brand crispy rice cereal is gluten-free! Theirs is a bit sweeter than some of the others, but it’s tough to beat that price! It might be worth stocking up on, on your next visit.
Is Puffed Rice The Same As Crisp Rice?
NO! Puffed rice or rice puffs are NOT crispy at all. It’s simply been heated until it “puffs” (almost like popcorn). It’s full of air, but it does NOT have the same texture as crisp rice or Rice Krispies that have been baked or toasted. Puffed rice is NOT a good substitute in any recipe that calls for crisp rice cereal or Rice Krispies.
Gluten-Free Rice Krispies Recipes To Try:
- Brown Butter Rice Krispies Treats
- Fruity Pebbles Treats
- Gluten-Free (Un) Fried Ice Cream
- Gluten-Free Funfetti Rice Krispies Treats – One Lovely Life
- Classic Gluten-Free Rice Krispies Treats – Mama Shire
- No-Bake Peanut Butter Granola Bars – These have the best texture!
- Toasted Marshmallow Treats – One Lovely Life