Gluten-Free Fruity Pebbles Treats – These easy fruity pebbles crispy treats are a simple fruity twist on classic rice krispie treats. It’s an easy no-bake treat you’ll love!
I love an easy no-bake treat, don’t you? There’s something so great about being able to whip up something delicious without having to turn on the oven, especially when it’s hot!
Fruity Pebbles Crispy Treats are a delightful mash-up of a colorful kids’ cereal + regular Rice Krispies treats. I love how easy they are to make (just 6 ingredients!) and how quickly they come together (less than 30 minutes!).
They’re the perfect fun treat when you want something colorful, fun, or just a bit different.
Here’s what you need to make our easy gluten-free fruity pebbles rice krispie treats…
Here’s What You Need To Make Fruity Pebbles Treats:
- Fruity Pebbles Cereal. I was so happy to discover that Fruity Pebbles is gluten-free! Its nostalgic taste & colorful flakes make for a fun twist on traditional rice krispies treats. (Shopping generic? Check out the FAQ below to see a great option!)
- Gluten-Free Crisp Rice Cereal. We did a big round-up of all the gluten-free brands of crisp rice cereal, perfect for when you’re making gluten-free cereal treats. Make sure your brand of crispy rice cereal is certified gluten-free (Rice Krispies brand are NOT gluten-free in the U.S.!).
- Mini Marshmallows. Next up is some mini marshmallows. I use the mini size because they melt faster & we’re leaving some whole to tuck into the treats. (It’s like a happy marshmallow surprise!)
- Butter. I use slightly more butter in my fruity pebbles treats than some other recipes, but it helps keep them from drying out. They have the BEST texture!
- Vanilla & Salt. Two little flavor secret ingredients! A splash of vanilla and a pinch of salt help balance the flavors going on in these fruity pebbles rice krispie treats. Don’t skip them!
Is Fruity Pebbles Gluten-Free? Yes! It’s one of the fun naturally gluten-free breakfast cereals out there. Post is great about disclosing allergen content and warnings on their labels. This sweetened rice cereal is certified gluten-free, made without barley, malt, rye, wheat or wheat ingredients, and following safe manufacturers practices. Fruity Pebbles is considered safe for celiac disease and gluten-tolerance. We love using it for sweet treat recipes like this!
How To Make Fruity Pebbles Crispy Treats, Step By Step:
- PREP YOUR PAN. Start by lining an 8×8 baking pan with parchment paper. (I like to leave a little parchment draped over the sides of the pan so I can use it as handles to lift the Fruity Pebbles treats out at the end.)
- COMBINE YOUR CEREALS. In a large mixing bowl (the larger the bowl, the easier it is to stir!), combine Fruity Pebbles and crisp rice cereal. Stir to blend well & set aside.
- SET ASIDE 1 CUP OF MARSHMALLOWS. You’ll melt most of the marshmallows, but we’ll tuck in a few unmelted mallows. Measure 1 cup of mini marshmallows and add them to the cereal.
- MELT REMAINING MARSHMALLOWS & BUTTER. In a large saucepan, melt butter and add the rest of the marshmallows, melting over medium-low heat & stirring nearly constantly until the marshmallows are melted and the butter and marshmallows are well combined. (Some people prefer to melt the butter & marshmallows in a large microwave-safe bowl in the microwave, but I find you have better control in a large pot on the stovetop.)
- REMOVE FROM HEAT & ADD FLAVORINGS. Take the saucepan off the heat and stir in the vanilla extract and salt.
- IMMEDIATELY POUR OVER CEREAL. Working quickly, pour the melted marshmallow mixture over the cereal and mini marshmallows. Use a large spatula to gently stir until the cereal is well coated with the marshmallows
- GENTLY PAT INTO THE PAN. Carefully (so you don’t compact or crush the cereal), gently spread the Fruity Pebbles mixture into your prepared baking dish and gently press mixture & smooth the surface with your fingertips or spatula. Remember not to pack the cereal down too tightly, or your Fruity Pebbles treats will be dense and hard rather than light and soft.
- LET SET & SLICE. Allow the cereal treats to cool at least 20-30 minutes, then cut into 12-16 pieces. Store leftover Fruity Pebbles rice krispie treats in an airtight container or zip top bag at room temperature up to 3-4 days. (Or you can wrap individual fruity pebble crispy treats in plastic wrap or reusable food wrap if you prefer!)
FAQ + Tips And Tricks For The BEst Fruity Pebbles Treats:
A Trick For Soft Fruity Pebbles Treats. One way to ensure you get soft, gooey rice krispies treats or fruity pebbles treats is to be GENTLE when you’re patting them out into the pan. You don’t want to pack them down, or they’ll be compressed and dense, rather than gooey & light in texture. Use a gentle touch & they’ll be soft every time! (A buttered spatula or barely wet fingertips can make this easier.)
Gluten-Free Ingredient Check: As always with gluten-free baking, you want to be extra-sure you’re using gluten-free ingredients. In this recipe you’ll need to check the cereal & marshmallows. Here’s what to know, at a glance:
- Are Fruity Pebbles Gluten-Free? Yes! Post Fruity Pebbles cereal is certified gluten-free and safe for celiacs. Also, if you’re shopping generic, Malt-O-Meal Fruity Dyno-Bites cereal (the generic fruity pebbles) is also certified gluten-free. Yay! If you find another brand to use, be sure to check that it’s certified gluten-free.
- Are Rice Krispies Gluten-Free? Rice Krispies brand cereal is NOT gluten-free (it contains malt), but we rounded up all the brands of gluten-free crisp rice cereal here. I used Aldi’s brand for these photos.
- Are Marshmallows Gluten-Free? Most marshmallows are gluten-free! Check out this list of gluten-free marshmallows to be sure your brand is gluten-free.
How To Cut Cereal Treats Neatly. I recommend a bread knife or serrated knife! Gently using a sawing back and forth motion helps cut the fruity pebbles treats neatly without crushing them. Works like a charm!
Would These Work With Cocoa Pebbles? Yes! We’ve tried it and liked it. ☺