This easy gluten-free chocolate pie recipe is made with an easy chocolate cookie crust, decadent chocolate filling, and fluffy whipped cream. It’s a classic dessert that’s always a winner!
Thanksgiving is just around the corner, and I’m VERY excited for baking pies! Whether it’s Key Lime Pie Bars, an incredible Banana Cream Pie, or something more traditional, like Pumpkin Pie or Pecan Pie, I can’t get enough this time of year!
That’s why I’m so excited to share this homemade Gluten-Free Chocolate Pie recipe. It’s a winner through and through, and it makes all kinds of special occasions a little bit sweeter. It’s my go-to dessert when I’m asked to bring a pie, since it’s loved by kids and grown-ups (for good reason!).
Whether this is your first time baking a gluten-free pie, or you’re a seasoned gluten-free baking pro, this classic dessert recipe is always a hit! My nieces and nephews always say it’s their favorite part of Thanksgiving, and it’s always one of the first pies to disappear.
And even if you’re not a pie-baking pro, this easy gluten-free chocolate pie recipe is simple enough to try this year. Here’s all you need to get started…
Simple Ingredients For Gluten-Free Chocolate Pie
One thing to love about this recipe: we make our gluten-free chocolate pie WITHOUT eggs. No separating egg yolks, tempering raw eggs, or dealing with egg allergies here! So what *is* in this pie? Let’s take a look:
- Our Easy Gluten-Free Oreo Pie Crust. I love to play up the chocolate notes in this pie by making our gluten-free chocolate pie with Oreo crust. It’s the easiest gluten-free pie crust ever! You literally just need 2-ingredients (Gluten-Free Oreos and butter!) to make it!
- Cornstarch. This helps the chocolate cream pie filling set up so it’s easy to slice.
- Cocoa Powder. Just like in our Gluten-Free Chocolate pudding, I recommend natural cocoa powder (like Hershey or Ghirardelli) here, rather than Dutch-processed cocoa. The flavor is more classic!
- Sugar. You don’t need much granulated sugar, since we’ll be added chocolate later.
- Whole Milk. Don’t try to substitute low-fat milk or nonfat milk, as the pie won’t set up the same.
- Chocolate or Chocolate Chips. Adding some chopped chocolate or chocolate chips at the end helps thicken the creamy pie filling more, and gives each bite delicious chocolate flavor.
- Butter. A tiny little flavor trick that also gives this creamy chocolate pie filling amazing texture.
- Vanilla Extract. Always! You’ll use some to round out the filling ingredients, and some for the whipped cream at the end.
- Heavy Cream. Finishing this gluten-free chocolate pie with pillowy dollops of whipped cream is delicious AND beautiful!
- Powdered Sugar. To sweeten and stabilize the whipped cream. (Adding powdered sugar helps the whipped cream hold its shape–don’t skip it!)
- A Few Fun Garnishes. More on this in a minute!
Ingredient Check: Use Gluten-Free Oreos!
If you’re gluten-free, have Celiac disease, or you’re baking for someone who does, it’s crucial that you ONLY use Gluten-Free Oreos (white package), as regular Oreos (blue package) are NOT gluten-free. You can also choose from one of these brands of gluten-free chocolate sandwich cookies if your grocery store doesn’t carry gluten-free Oreos!
Decorating Ideas For Chocolate Cream Pie
Let’s make your gluten-free chocolate cream pie extra pretty with a few little garnishes! Here are a few of our favorite toppings for this amazing pie:
- Whipped Cream. I love adding dollops of homemade whipped cream at the end. Since we stabilize the whipped cream. You can also pipe it into designs, like we do for our Gluten-Free Oreo Cheesecake. If you need an easy shortcut, you can also absolutely use something like Cool Whip instead.
- Chocolate Curls. I love how pretty chocolate curls are! They add such a beautiful touch to gluten-free chocolate cream pie.
- Shaved Chocolate. If you don’t have the time or interest in making big chocolate curls, you can also use a vegetable peeler to shave the side of a chocolate bar. Or you can use a large knife to cut larger chocolate shavings/chocolate shards.
- Oreo Crumbs. I love adding a sprinkle of Oreo crumbs to play up the Oreo crust!
- Sprinkles. Serving this gluten-free chocolate pie for a birthday or holiday? Top slices with some colorful sprinkles right before serving! Jimmies or Quins work best for this, but check out our Sprinkles 101 post for more info!
- Chopped Nuts. For a nutty crunch, try sprinkling the pie with chopped toasted pecans, hazelnuts, or almonds. It’s delicious!
- Toffee Bits. Or, go for toffee bits! The caramel-y crunch is lovely with dollops of whipped cream, and the luscious chocolate filling.
FAQ + Tips And Tricks For The BEst Gluten-Free Chocolate Pie
Can I Make Gluten-Free Chocolate Pie With Graham Cracker Crust Instead?
Absolutely! We’ve got a delicious Gluten-Free Graham Cracker Crust recipe that’s delicious with this chocolate cream filling.
Can You Freeze Chocolate Pudding Pie?
Technically, yes. You can freeze chocolate pudding pie (without the whipped cream), up to 2 months. But keep in mind that the texture can change a bit upon thawing. When possible, I really recommend making it fresh (it can be made a day in advance!) for best results.
One thing I LOVE about making Gluten Free Chocolate Cream Pie is that you can prep it in advance! You can prep individual components ahead of time (the gluten-free chocolate cookie crust and whipped cream can both be made a day in advance!), or you can make and chill the pie filling in the crust up to a day in advance. For best results, I recommend adding the whipped cream on the day you plan to serve the pie, but you can make it and store it in a separate container to add the next day!
Tips For Traveling With This Pie
If you’re bringing our Gluten-Free Chocolate Pie with you on the go (for Thanksgiving, holidays, or celebrations), it will travel best if you bring it covered with the whipped cream and toppings in separate containers on the side. Then, you can assemble it when you arrive. (This helps prevent whipped cream melting, sloshing, or spilling!) I recommend this for other cream pies, too. (Like our Banana Cream Pie)
🌟 Leave a star review below when you try our Gluten-Free Chocolate Pie recipe! We can’t wait to hear what you think!Print