Gluten-Free Grasshopper Ice Cream Pie – This mint chocolate chip ice cream pie is one of my favorite treats! (Vegan-Friendly)
I love a good from-scratch recipe, whether it’s fudgy brownies or a homemade cake for a special occasion. But I’m also not one bit embarrassed about using shortcuts. I’m 100% fine doctoring a boxed cake mix for a birthday cake or using a pre-made crust for a pie at Thanksgiving. Ain’t no shame in that shortcut game!
Grasshopper pie is one of those fun semi-homemade desserts that’s SO INCREDIBLY easy to put together, but totally blew my kids’ minds the first time they tried it. I get it! I felt the same way the first time I tried this chocolate mint ice cream pie as a kid on a sticky summer day. It’s a textural wonder–crisp chocolate cookie crust, creamy mint chip ice cream, fluffy whipped cream, and gooey chocolate sauce.
It’s a dream come true! And today, we’re making it gluten-free.
Like I said, it’s SUPER simple to pull together–store-bought shortcuts make it even easier. Here’s what you’ll need to make a gluten-free grasshopper ice cream pie…
Here’s What You Need To Make Gluten-Free Grasshopper Pie:
So what is grasshopper pie made of? It’s an easy to make combination of a few elements: a chocolate cookie crust, mint chocolate chip ice cream, chocolate sauce, whipped cream, and garnishes. Let’s take a close look at each one:
- Gluten-Free Oreo Cookie Crust. This crispy gluten-free chocolate cookie crust only requires two ingredients: gluten-free Oreos (or other gluten-free chocolate sandwich cookies, like Glutino, Kinnikinnick, or Trader Joe’s Joe-Joe brands), and butter or vegan butter. Easy!
- Mint Chocolate Chip Ice Cream. Some grasshopper pie recipes use a marshmallow créme + peppermint extract or creme de menthe filling, but since ours is an ice cream pie, we get to keep things simple! You can use regular or dairy-free/vegan mint chocolate chip ice cream for our gluten-free grasshopper pie. Whichever fits your dietary needs best! You’ll need 2 pints (or 1 quart).
- Chocolate Sauce. You’ll use chocolate sauce twice for this recipe. First, you’ll drizzle a layer over the ice cream. Then, I like to add a bit on top of the whipped cream right before serving. It adds a pretty finishing touch! We LOVE our homemade chocolate syrup, but store-bought sauce works fine here! Try this 5-Ingredient option or this Organic chocolate sauce that are both easy to find.
- Whipped Cream Or Whipped Coconut Cream. Then, to serve, you’ll dollop or spread some fluffy whipped cream on top. Feel free to whip your own, or use store-bought whipped cream options like CocoWhip or TruWhip dairy-free whipped cream or Cool Whip/ReddiWhip.
- Garnishes (If You Want). Lastly, you can finish your gluten-free grasshopper ice cream pie with some fun garnishes–more crushed cookies, mini chocolate chips or chocolate curls, etc.
How To Make Gluten-Free Grasshopper Ice Cream Pie, Step By STep:
- START WITH THE CRUST. Add gluten-free Oreos to the bowl of a food processor. Pulse until the cookies are fine crumbs and no lumps remain. Add melted butter (or vegan butter) to the crushed cookies and pulse to coat the cookies with butter. It’ll be the texture of wet sand now. Pour the crust mixture into a 9″ pie pan and use the bottom of a measuring cup, drinking glass, or your fingers to pat the crust down evenly around the bottom and up the sides of the pan. Even the top edge out with your fingers.
- BAKE & COOL THE CRUST. Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes to set the crust. Then, set aside on a wire rack to cool completely.
- SOFTEN THE ICE CREAM. When the crust is nearly cool, pull the ice cream out of the freezer to soften. You don’t want it to turn liquid, but you want it soft enough to scoop and spread.
- SCOOP & SMOOTH THE ICE CREAM. Scoop small amounts of ice cream into your cooled crust, bit by bit. Then, use an offset spatula to smooth out the softened ice cream into an even layer.
- DRIZZLE WITH CHOCOLATE & FREEZE. When the ice cream is smooth, drizzle some chocolate sauce over the surface of the ice cream. Any sort of design will work–it’ll be covered up by whipped cream anyway. Freeze gluten-free grasshopper ice cream pie at least 30 minutes to set.
- DOLLOP WITH WHIPPED CREAM. When you’re ready to serve it, remove the grasshopper pie from the oven a few minutes in advance. Spread whipped cream over the top of the pie, or dollop whipped cream on individual slices.
- CUT & SERVE. Cut the pie into slices (we get about 10 slices). Serve drizzled with additional chocolate sauce and sprinkled with crushed gluten-free Oreos, mini chocolate chips, or chocolate shavings.
FAQ + Tips And Tricks For The BEst Gluten-Free Grasshopper Ice Cream Pie:
Can I Make This With Other Kinds Of Ice Cream? You bet! It won’t be grasshopper pie any more, strictly speaking, but this same gluten-free ice cream pie method works with all kinds of ice cream. Try it with gluten-free cookies & cream ice cream, caramel ice cream, chocolate ice cream, cherry chip, chocolate peanut butter, and more!
What Flavor Is Grasshopper Ice Cream? The nickname “grasshopper ice cream” refers to mint chocolate chip ice cream. Many store-bought varieties are colored green, so the name refers to the “grasshopper green” of the ice cream.
What’s The Best Vegan Mint Chip Ice Cream? We’ve tried a LOT of dairy-free ice creams over the years, but our favorite is Nadamoo! Mint Chip. It’s really high quality in taste and texture. It also looks green (without dyes), unlike most other vegan mint ice cream.