Gluten-Free Pumpkin Cupcakes With Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting – My favorite gluten-free pumpkin cupcake recipe! These fluffy cupcakes have warm spices and a lovely cinnamon cream cheese frosting you’ll love!
Aren’t cupcakes one of the happiest treats? I LOVE them! I love that they’re already served in individual portions (no slicing needed!), and they’re pretty easy to transport–perfect for parties, get-togethers, birthdays, and celebrations of all kinds.
These Gluten-Free Pumpkin Cupcakes with Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting are a fall celebration dream come true. They’re just what you need when the weather turns colder and pumpkin season arrives. Enjoy them for a September movie night, serve them up as Halloween cupcakes, add them them to a Thanksgiving dessert bar for the folks who don’t love pie, or enjoy them in the holiday season. See? Dreamy!
There are SO many reasons to love these pumpkin cupcakes, but here are 5 things I know you’ll love as much as we do…
Table Of Contents:
- What Makes These Gluten-Free Pumpkin Cupcakes Amazing
- Let’s Talk About Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting (Tips & Technique)
- FAQ + Tips And Tricks For The Best Gluten-Free Pumpkin Cupcakes
- Decorating Ideas For Pumpkin Cupcakes
- VIDEO TUTORIAL: Pumpkin Cupcakes Recipe
- Tools We Recommend For These Cupcakes
- RECIPE: Gluten-Free Pumpkin Cupcakes With Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting
What Makes These GLuten-Free Pumpkin Cupcakes Amazing:
- They’re So Easy To Make. This gluten-free pumpkin cupcake recipe is great for beginners! You’ll mix the dry ingredients, mix the wet ingredients, then stir them together. Scoop into muffin cups and bake. That’s it!
- The Blend Of Warm Spices. A mixture of warm spices and vanilla make our pumpkin cupcakes smell and taste incredible. Every bite is full of goodness!
- Their Fluffy, Light Texture. Gluten-free cupcakes sometimes have an unfortunate reputation for being dense or heavy. Not these gluten-free pumpkin cupcakes! Even with the pumpkin, they’re light and fluffy in all the best ways. They feel like a true delight!
- The Yummy Cream Cheese Frosting. Cream cheese frosting is a classic pairing with pumpkin cupcakes and pumpkin cake, but we take things up a notch with our cinnamon cream cheese frosting, which has notes of vanilla and cinnamon. It’s incredible with cupcakes!
- They’re Fun To Dress Up! They look gorgeous and happy with just the cupcakes and frosting, but they’re also really fun to “dress up” with garnishes. Don’t miss our favorite decorating ideas below!
Let’s Talk about our Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting!
FLAVOR: Our Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting is perfect for gluten-free pumpkin cupcakes! I love the slight tang from the cream cheese and the soft complementary flavors of the vanilla and cinnamon. They really play up and balance the warm spices in the pumpkin cupcake recipe.
TEXTURE: You can make your cream cheese frosting softer if you plan to spread it on with a spatula (small offset spatulas like these make that easy!) or you can make it slightly more stiff to pipe the frosting on, as we did for these photos. Either way, cinnamon cream cheese frosting is slightly more substantial than a traditional American buttercream, but it’s still light and airy, thanks to the flavors and technique.
Get The Right Consistency
- If you plan to spread the frosting on, you don’t need quite as much powdered sugar, since the frosting can be spread on a bit more softly.
- If you plan to pipe the frosting on, you’ll need it to hold its shape a bit more, which means adding a bit more powdered sugar to the cinnamon cream cheese frosting to stiffen it up.
- Too thick? Too thin? As with most frostings, if you want it more stiff or thicker, add powdered sugar a bit at a time. If it’s too thick, thin it out with a little bit more milk at a time. Many things can impact how a frosting mixes up (the temperature of your room & ingredients, for instance), so you’ll need to do a little detective work to get the frosting to the proper thickness/stiffness.
PIPING & DECORATING TIPS: I love the look of piping the cinnamon cream cheese frosting onto these gluten-free pumpkin cupcakes! I’d consider piping an intermediate to advanced skill, so keep that in mind if you plan to go for it! I used a Wilton 1M open star tip for the cupcakes in the photos. They can also look cute with a more intricate Ateco #849 tip or a simpler Ateco #808 large circle tip.
FAQ + Tips And Tricks For The Best Gluten-Free Pumpkin Cupcakes:
MAKE THEM PRETTY WITH ONE OF THESE GARNISHES! The fluffy gluten-free pumpkin cupcakes and gorgeous cinnamon cream cheese frosting are enough to make these look lovely, but if you want to add a little something extra, try garnishing them with caramel sauce, chopped pecans, white sprinkles, cinnamon sticks, or a light dusting of cinnamon or pumpkin spice.
CAN I MAKE PUMPKIN CUPCAKES IN ADVANCE? Yes! This is great news, if you’re bringing them to a party or get-together. The cupcakes can be baked, cooled, and frozen for up to 1 month or stored in the refrigerator 1-2 days in advance. (You will NOT freeze them with frosted.) The frosting can be prepared 2 days in advance and stored in the refrigerator.
I DON’T LIKE CREAM CHEESE FROSTING. ANY OTHER SUGGESTIONS? I get that not everyone’s a fan of cream cheese frosting! I’d recommend a salted caramel buttercream, or even a marshmallow buttercream instead!
THE BEST CUPCAKE LINERS EVER. These parchment liners are my absolute favorite. They’re neutral, so they work for any occasion, and they’re completely nonstick, which means you won’t lose half your cupcake to the wrapper. (I hate when that happens!)
WHAT’S THE BEST GLUTEN-FREE FLOUR FOR CUPCAKES? In our experience, the best gluten-free flour for cupcakes is a measure-for-measure blend with xanthan gum. We highly and very strongly recommend King Arthur Measure-For-Measure Flour. With any flour you use, be sure to use the Scoop & Level Method to measure or weigh it properly! Adding excess flour leads to dense, gummy cupcakes.
tools of the trade we recommend:
- Light-Colored Muffin Pan – This bakes evenly and consistently. No burned bottoms!
- The BEST Nonstick Parchment Liners – No more losing half your cupcake or muffin to the wrapper!
- Medium Cookie Scoop – Makes portioning batter SUPER easy and consistent. (Also great for cookies!)
- Wilton 1M Piping Tip – This open star tip makes such pretty swirled frosting!
- King Arthur Measure-For-Measure Flour. A great baking flour blend that gives us fluffy cakes, fudgy brownies, and perfect cookies.
More Gluten-Free pumpkin recipes To Love:
- Gluten-Free Pumpkin Streusel Bread With Maple Glaze
- Maple Sweetened Pumpkin Pie – One Lovely Life
- Gluten-Free Pumpkin Bars
- Almond Flour Pumpkin Cake – One Lovely Life