Are M&Ms Gluten-Free? – Many varieties of M&Ms ARE Gluten-Free! Here’s everything you need to know about finding gluten-free M&Ms.
I’ve been knee-deep in holiday recipe testing (isn’t that crazy!?), and whether you’re brand new to eating a gluten-free diet or you’re a seasoned gluten-free baker, you know that reading labels is ALWAYS going to be the name of the game when it comes to baking with gluten-free ingredients.
We’ve been working on some fun candy-filled treats for the holiday season, so today’s gluten-free tip is all about a classic candy: M&Ms! There are so many kinds of M&Ms to choose from (and new seasonal flavors popping up all the time!), so which M&Ms are gluten-free? Are M&Ms safe for people with celiac disease or gluten intolerance?
I’ve got you covered!
Between navigating gluten-free Halloween candy & tackling your next gluten-free baking recipe, I want to make sure it’s as EASY as possible to navigate the candy aisle.
Here’s everything you need to know about finding gluten-free M&Ms…
Are M&M’s Gluten-Free?
Many kinds of M&Ms ARE considered gluten-free! Not ALL M&Ms are gluten-free, however, so it’s important to check your labels.
Most M&M’s in the United States are made with a base of gluten-free ingredients, such as milk chocolate or dark chocolate, skim milk, milk fat, natural flavors, cocoa butter, lactose, soy lecithin, sugar, corn syrup, cornstarch, dextrose, salt, etc., which are gluten-free.
Only M&M’s made with additional ingredients or flavorings that contain wheat (like pretzel or crispy M&M’s), or M&M’s made on shared equipment that run the risk of cross contact/cross contamination.
How Can You Tell If M&Ms Are Gluten-Free?
M&Ms aren’t currently certified by the Gluten Intolerance Group, so they aren’t specifically labeled with that handy signature “GF” in a circle symbol. (Dangit!)
Mars (M&M’s parent company) does a great job labeling their candy products so it’s easy to tell which candies are considered gluten-free. They include an allergen warning on all their products, which will alert you to the presence (or possible presence) of gluten, wheat or wheat flour, barley, rye, etc.
When checking packages of M&Ms (especially seasonal or limited edition M&Ms, here’s what to look for:
- A “Contains” Statement. If the ingredients include wheat, malt, barley, etc., the package will have a “contains” statement at the bottom of the ingredients list. (i.e. “contains wheat”)
- A “May Contain” Statement. If the product was made from unverified ingredients (that haven’t been certified gluten-free) or made on shared equipment, the product can have a “may contain” statement (i.e. “may contain wheat, dairy, soy,” etc.)
Which M&Ms Are Gluten-Free?
Ok, so now that we know what to look for, which kinds of M&Ms ARE gluten-free?
- Milk Chocolate M&M’s are gluten-free. This almost always includes seasonal colorways (like red & green for Christmas, Valentine’s colors, etc.)
- Milk Chocolate M&M’s Minis are gluten-free
- Dark Chocolate M&M’s are gluten-free. Again, this almost always includes seasonal colors (like red & green for Christmas, Valentine’s colors, etc.)
- Peanut M&M’s, Dark Chocolate Peanut M&Ms, and White Chocolate M&Ms are gluten-free. (Note that the M&Ms peanut mix containing all three of these flavors of m&m is labeled “may contain gluten” even though the single flavor bags are not.)
- Caramel M&Ms
- Peanut Butter M&M’s
- Almond M&M’s
- Fudge Brownie M&M’s
- White Chocolate M&M’s
- Hazelnut Spread M&M’s
- Thai Coconut Peanut M&M’s
- Coffee Nut M&M’s
Which M&Ms Are NOT Gluten-Free?
- Pretzel M&M’s are NOT gluten-free (they contain wheat)
- Crispy M&M’s are NOT gluten-free (contains barley malt, may contain wheat)
- Speckled Egg M&M’s are NOT gluten-free (“may contain wheat”)
- Crispy Cookie M&M’s are NOT gluten-free (contains barley malt extract & may contain wheat)
- Mint M&M’s are NOT gluten-free (may contain wheat)
- White Chocolate Key Lime Pie M&M’s are NOT gluten-free (“may contain wheat”)
- White Chocolate Sugar Cookie M&M’s are NOTE gluten-free (“may contain wheat”)
What About Seasonal M&Ms? In our experience, SOME seasonal flavors can be gluten-free, while most of the limited edition or seasonal flavors tend to contain gluten or a “may contain gluten” statement. ALWAYS read the package to be sure!)
FAQ: Gluten-Free M&Ms
Are M&Ms dairy-free? No. Sadly, there aren’t any dairy-free M&Ms. BUT! There are some dairy-free M&M-type candies that can work great for snacks or baking. We like unREAL quinoa crispy gems (don’t be scared, my quinoa-hating children LOVE them), and Little Secrets chocolate pieces candies. There are several vegan/dairy-free varieties from both brands to choose from! Both brands use natural dyes and are Fair Trade.
Are M&M Minis Gluten-Free? Mini M&Ms are gluten-free!
Which M&Ms are gluten-free? Check out our list above!
What Are All The M&M Flavors? M&M shares all their current flavors on their site.
Are M&Ms Safe For Celiacs? While not certified gluten-free, Mars includes “contains” and “may contain” statement on all packages of M&Ms, so it’s easy to tell which varieties contain or may contain gluten. Don’t miss our list above of gluten-free M&M flavors!